Books for anxious children

I did a bunch of searching online and in stores to find some books that I could share with my little guy about anxiety, especially separation and school anxiety.  I really wanted him to know that he isn't the only one in the world who feels this way, and that other people (characters) have felt the same way and been able to still do the things they were afraid of.  Yes, they are characters in books, but at the very least, I figured he would get some ideas of how to manage through the tougher times.

I thought I'd compile a list of books here; these are the ones that were available at my local library, and my son quite enjoyed them all.

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn

Silly Billy by Anthony Brown

David and the Worry Beast:  Helping Children Cope with Anxiety by Anne Marie Guanci

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg (this one is a favourite!)

Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney

I Love You All Day Long by Fracesca Rusackas

I feel like there were more, but I can't find my list right now.  If anyone knows of any other great children's books to help kids understand their anxiety, please share the title with me and I will update this list.

Edited to include the following (thanks Meg!):


Worried Arthur by Joan Stimson

What makes me Happy? by Catherine Anholt

The Great Big Book of Feelings by Mary Hoffman

The Huge Bag of Worries by Virginia Ironside

Little Mouse's Big Book of Fears by Emily Gravett

I'm Worried - Your Emotions Series by Brian Moses

Why Do I feel Scared by Pat Thomas

Don't Panic Annika by Juliet Clare Bell

But Martin by June Counsel

Fly, Chick, Fly by Jeanne Willis

The Worry Monster by Emma Brownjohn

All kinds of Fears - When My Worries Get Too Big by Emma Brownjohn

Please Explain Anxiety to Me by Laurie Zelinger

What to Do When You Worry Too Much by Dawn Huebner

Comments

Popular Posts